Search This Blog

July 14, 2017

Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race

  1. Boards
  2. Current Events 
  3. Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race
FrisbeeDude  attack always1 day ago#1
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-airbnb-discrimination-20170713-story,amp.html

An Airbnb host who canceled a woman’s reservation because of her race has agreed to pay $5,000 in damages and take a course in Asian American studies, a state regulatory agency announced Thursday.

The host, Tami Barker, told the woman who reserved her Big Bear cabin for a ski vacation in February that she would not rent to an Asian, justifying the action by adding in a text message, “It’s why we have Trump,” referring to President Trump.

The woman, Dyne Suh, a UCLA law student, said she was driving in a snowstorm to the Big Bear cabin when she received the text messages via the Airbnb mobile app. A tearful Suh, standing in the snow, shot a video posted on YouTube, describing her exchange with Barker.

“I’ve been here since I was 3 years old,” she said in the video. “America is my home. I consider myself an American. But this woman discriminates against me because I’m Asian.”

In the video, Suh shows screen shots of the exchange, including a message from Barker saying, “It’s is why we have Trump” and, “I will not allow this country to be told what to do by foreigners.”

Under an agreement reached after an investigation by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Barker agreed to pay Suh $5,000 in damages, issue her an apology and attend a college-level course on Asian American studies, among other penalties.


I'm surprised this is the first time such a penalty has been levied. Air BnB is rife with discrimination. Hopefully they'll continue to use this to curb racists
No one gets in the way of my frisbee games! NO ONE!
Bishop9800 1 day ago#2
Fair. Next
I don't have to insult you. I have proven that you are a hypocrite and a fool. That's not insulting you, that's exposing you.
PSN-Bishop9800
Fam_Fam 1 day ago#3
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined
E32005 1 day ago#4
lol why Asians though? like what? dirty Asians that destroy property? that is not a stereotype for Asian people.
Tmaster148 1 day ago#5
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined


If he doesn't want people in their home, he shouldn't have hosted his house for strangers on BnB.
(edited 1 day ago)reportquote
Clad 1 day ago#6
wtf
"private property is theft, mmkay" - averagejoel
Yolo
"I'm neither a repub or democrat.
Im just doubledare" - doubledare
Blue_Inigo 1 day ago#8
Bishop9800 posted...
Fair. Next
"This is your last dance."
Isn't it a stereotype that Asians don't even wear shoes in their own houses
Posted with GameRaven 3.2
Tmaster148 1 day ago#10
Smashingpmkns posted...
Isn't it a stereotype that Asians don't even wear shoes in their own houses


And that's a bad thing?
FrisbeeDude  attack always1 day ago#11
I just wonder how many racists have to reference trump before the right understands just how much hate is fueled by 45s rhetoric
No one gets in the way of my frisbee games! NO ONE!
Under an agreement reached after an investigation by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Barker agreed to pay Suh $5,000 in damages, issue her an apology and attend a college-level course on Asian American studies, among other penalties.

I laughed. Hard.
TheVipaGTS 1 day ago#13
"It's why we have trump". f***in idiot.

%u201CWhile regretful for her impetuous actions and comments made on the evening of Feb. 17, 2017


Her dumbass just regrets that she has to face consequences because Trump didn't make her people immune to the law.
(edited 1 day ago)reportquote
MrStabbath 1 day ago#14
megamanfreakXD posted...
Under an agreement reached after an investigation by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Barker agreed to pay Suh $5,000 in damages, issue her an apology and attend a college-level course on Asian American studies, among other penalties.

I laughed. Hard.

ikr. pwnt.
E32005 1 day ago#15
Tmaster148 posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...
Isn't it a stereotype that Asians don't even wear shoes in their own houses


And that's a bad thing?

no, I think he's saying she has a stupid stereotype that never existed. thinking that Asians are dirty people.
Tmaster148 posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...
Isn't it a stereotype that Asians don't even wear shoes in their own houses


And that's a bad thing?


No I'm saying that's clean as hell. I know people that wear shoes on their bed. Wtf is that s***
Posted with GameRaven 3.2
Fam_Fam 1 day ago#17
Tmaster148 posted...
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined


If he doesn't want people in their home, he shouldn't have hosted his house for strangers on BnB.


he doesn't want some people in HIS house. He has the choice who gets in or not.
What's the point in taking the course?

Does she have to actually pass the class? Otherwise she could just sit on her laptop the entire time.
mcpwnia 1 day ago#19
Fam_Fam posted...
Tmaster148 posted...
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined


If he doesn't want people in their home, he shouldn't have hosted his house for strangers on BnB.


he doesn't want some people in HIS house. He has the choice who gets in or not.

he shouldn't be renting a room through AirBNB then.
Fam_Fam posted...
Tmaster148 posted...
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined


If he doesn't want people in their home, he shouldn't have hosted his house for strangers on BnB.


he doesn't want some people in HIS house. He has the choice who gets in or not.

Not when you make your house a part of a public business. You have to obey the same laws as any other business.
If you are reading this chances are I am pooping.
(edited 1 day ago)reportquote
Jabodie 1 day ago#21
Fam_Fam posted...

he doesn't want some people in HIS house. He has the choice who gets in or not.

So the same should apply for hotels, right?

It is THEIR hotel after all.

And clubs for that matter.

If you host your home as a business, you get treated like a business.
<insert sig here>
Tmaster148 1 day ago#22
Fam_Fam posted...
Tmaster148 posted...
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined


If he doesn't want people in their home, he shouldn't have hosted his house for strangers on BnB.


he doesn't want some people in HIS house. He has the choice who gets in or not.


Don't sell rooms of your house on an app if you don't want certain people in your house. Anti-discrimination laws exist for this sole reason and it's about time Air BnB hosts are getting punished for their discrimination.
Jabodie 1 day ago#23
WizardPowers posted...
What's the point in taking the course?

Does she have to actually pass the class? Otherwise she could just sit on her laptop the entire time.

It's the ultimate insult.
<insert sig here>
TheVipaGTS 1 day ago#24
To add to that, I guess he could have a "must wear shoes" condition. Like no smoking. But this dumbass straight up said it was because they're Asian and mentioned trump, further cementing his racism. You can't do that. For good reason.
He's a she btw everyone
Posted with GameRaven 3.2
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined

>says they don't want someone in their house solely because of race
>uses "because Trump"

lel
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

With that said, Airbnb is a business, and I support their right to boot this host from their program if they're discriminating based on race. You are not entitled to use their platform if you won't adhere to their policies on equal treatment.
- The Admiral
The Admiral posted...
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".
sktgamer_13dude posted...
The Admiral posted...
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.
- The Admiral
(edited 1 day ago)reportquote
The Admiral posted...
sktgamer_13dude posted...
The Admiral posted...
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

This is beyond dispute I have no problem with Airbnb booting them, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want.

Nice to know you support racism. 

wait we already knew that
Zeeak4444 1 day ago#31
Why last minute? 

This idiot had all the time in the world to send that message, why wait until the day she's driving.

At this point I can only presume he knew she was Asian from the start and waited out of malicious intent.

Fine him more for her inconvenience and emotional distraught.
Typical gameFAQers are "Complainers that always complain about those who complain about real legitimate complaints."-Joker_X
The Admiral posted...
sktgamer_13dude posted...
The Admiral posted...
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.


If you're renting your home out and using it as a business you shouldn't be able to discriminate your clientele based on race. This should go without saying.

It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.
Posted with GameRaven 3.2
TheVipaGTS 1 day ago#33
Let an Asian person (or worse for him a black person) say "I'm not serving you. It's because you're white", and watch Admiral change his tune quick, talking about how they're the "real" racists.
DrizztLink 1 day ago#34
The Admiral posted...
sktgamer_13dude posted...
The Admiral posted...
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.

Then don't sign up for the program and then boot somebody because their grandparents f***ed a few thousand miles from where your grandparents f***ed.

Boot someone for being a felon or something like that? Fine.

Boot someone for a reason that is obviously against an agreement you signed? Not fine.

You were a mod. This chick broke AirBnB's ToS.
When did trump talk about a travel ban for asians >_>
Trump 2020
Jabodie 1 day ago#36
The Admiral posted...
The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.

Once your home is offering services as a business, in any official respect, I disagree.

The distinction between home and business becomes arbitrary when the home IS the place of business imo. If you are willing to sell entry into your house through an official platform, you should have to abide by the sorts of regulations that come with it. 

This is the kind of thing that isn't worth arguing about though, since I highly doubt your idea of "home" will change over forum posts.
<insert sig here>
Smashingpmkns posted...

It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.


No, it isn't, because a hotel is a business and governed by a different set of laws.

Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want. That's a privilege that comes with owning property. Airbnb has the right to tell you to f*** off and ban you from using their platform, but no one has the right to force you to let other people into your home that you're uncomfortable with.
- The Admiral
The Admiral posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...

It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.


No, it isn't, because a hotel is a business and governed by a different set of laws.

Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want. That's a privilege that comes with owning property. Airbnb has the right to tell you to f*** off and ban you from using their platform, but no one has the right to force you to let other people into your home that you're uncomfortable with.

When your home is your place of business, then you can't discriminate. 

No one is arguing that you have to let everyone and anyone in your house all the time. There's no reason for you to be arguing that but since LIBERALS are ok with the fine, you have to be upset with some part of it.
DrizztLink 1 day ago#39
The Admiral posted...
Your home is your home.

Not when it's a business.

It's really no different than suing a landlord for racial discrimination in his properties.

Y'know, like Daddy Trump.
DrizztLink posted...
It's really no different than suing a landlord for racial discrimination in his properties.


It's 100% different, because your home is not a commercial property that you're renting as a business. You have a legal right to discriminate in your home, and usage of Airbnb doesn't change that.
- The Admiral
The Admiral posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...

It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.


No, it isn't, because a hotel is a business and governed by a different set of laws.

Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want. That's a privilege that comes with owning property. Airbnb has the right to tell you to f*** off and ban you from using their platform, but no one has the right to force you to let other people into your home that you're uncomfortable with.


They were using their home as their business and agreed to the terms by AirBnB. 

Even though that was a fair comparison I'll give you another. It's like an Uber driver picks up a Mexican customer and tells him to get out of the car because he's Mexican. 

You don't see anything wrong with that?
Posted with GameRaven 3.2
Samurontai 1 day ago#42
sktgamer_13dude posted...
The Admiral posted...
sktgamer_13dude posted...
The Admiral posted...
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

This is beyond dispute I have no problem with Airbnb booting them, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want.

Nice to know you support racism. 

wait we already knew that


He literally said that he supports racial profiling because "why not"

Not because he claimed it would decrease crime, or make the cities safer... just for no reason at all
DrizztLink 1 day ago#43
The Admiral posted...
DrizztLink posted...
It's really no different than suing a landlord for racial discrimination in his properties.


It's 100% different, because your home is not a commercial property that you're renting as a business. You have a legal right to discriminate in your home, and usage of Airbnb doesn't change that.

It is when YOU'RE RENTING OUT YOUR f***ING HOME AS A BUSINESS.

What part of this is difficult for you?
(edited 1 day ago)reportquote
Smashingpmkns posted...
The Admiral posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...

It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.


No, it isn't, because a hotel is a business and governed by a different set of laws.

Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want. That's a privilege that comes with owning property. Airbnb has the right to tell you to f*** off and ban you from using their platform, but no one has the right to force you to let other people into your home that you're uncomfortable with.


They were using their home as their business and agreed to the terms by AirBnB. 

Even though that was a fair comparison I'll give you another. It's like an Uber driver picks up a Mexican customer and tells him to get out of the car because he's Mexican. 

You don't see anything wrong with that?

"Well the person is Mexican so no. If the races were switched and a white person was denied, death penalty for sure." - The Admiral
(edited 1 day ago)reportquote
Smashingpmkns posted...
The Admiral posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...

It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.


No, it isn't, because a hotel is a business and governed by a different set of laws.

Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want. That's a privilege that comes with owning property. Airbnb has the right to tell you to f*** off and ban you from using their platform, but no one has the right to force you to let other people into your home that you're uncomfortable with.


They were using their home as their business and agreed to the terms by AirBnB. 

Even though that was a fair comparison I'll give you another. It's like an Uber driver picks up a Mexican customer and tells him to get out of the car because he's Mexican. 

You don't see anything wrong with that?


No, I don't. Your car, your rules. But I completely support Uber kicking that driver off the platform. 

Using Airbnb or Uber as a side business does not transform your personal property into commercial property. Those are merely platforms; they're not legal agreements that change the set of laws governing your property.
- The Admiral
The Admiral posted...
sktgamer_13dude posted...
The Admiral posted...
You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.

Clearly it isn't beyond dispute. They weren't forced to let anyone in their home.
http://i.imgur.com/8pzUM.gif http://i.imgur.com/Oh1iujg.gif
The only bad part about flying is having to come back down to the f***in' world ~Rat
SGT_Conti 23 hours ago#47
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined

The solution was to just not rent through Airbnb. If you want to use their service, abide by their rules. There's nothing stopping someone from renting independently.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
DrizztLink 23 hours ago#48
The Admiral posted...

Using Airbnb or Uber as a side business does not transform your personal property into commercial property. Those are merely platforms; they're not legal agreements that change the set of laws governing your property.

Yes. Yes, it does.

Said property is operating under a commercial umbrella when you are using it under the company's name.

Tell the nice Asian lady to f*** off while you live in your house? You're an a******, but ok you can technically do that.

Tell the nice Asian lady to f*** off while your house is being used as commercial property? Now you f***ed up.
(edited 23 hours ago)reportquote
The Admiral posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...
The Admiral posted...
Smashingpmkns posted...

It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.


No, it isn't, because a hotel is a business and governed by a different set of laws.

Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want. That's a privilege that comes with owning property. Airbnb has the right to tell you to f*** off and ban you from using their platform, but no one has the right to force you to let other people into your home that you're uncomfortable with.


They were using their home as their business and agreed to the terms by AirBnB. 

Even though that was a fair comparison I'll give you another. It's like an Uber driver picks up a Mexican customer and tells him to get out of the car because he's Mexican. 

You don't see anything wrong with that?


No, I don't. Your car, your rules. But I completely support Uber kicking that driver off the platform. 

Using Airbnb or Uber as a side business does not transform your personal property into commercial property. Those are merely platforms; they're not legal agreements that change the set of laws governing your property.

It does when you're using your personal property as commercial propert at that moment. 

Say I turn my car into an Uber from 9pm-midnight every day. During those hours, I can't just be like "yo you guys are black so I'm not gonna let you in my car." Yeah, outside of those hours I can do what I want. Sure that makes me a racist, but it's still my rights. 

Literally no one is saying this isn't true, but you have to fight for racists whenever you can rofl
Makeveli_lives 23 hours ago#50
Fam_Fam posted...
> doesn't want someone in their home
> gets fined

Literally justifying racism
3DS FC: 0087-2410-1340
  1. Boards
  2. Current Events 
  3. Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race
    1. Boards
    2. Current Events
    3. Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race
    FrisbeeDude  attack always23 hours ago#51
    The Admiral posted...
    sktgamer_13dude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

    Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


    The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

    This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.


    I agree. By consequence, those same people forfeit the right to turn their home into a business if they can't adhere to basic anti-discrimination statues
    No one gets in the way of my frisbee games! NO ONE!
    The Admiral 23 hours ago#52
    FrisbeeDude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    sktgamer_13dude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

    Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


    The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

    This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.


    I agree. By consequence, those same people forfeit the right to turn their home into a business if they can't adhere to basic anti-discrimination statues


    I agree. But you should never be forced to let anyone into your home that you don't want.
    - The Admiral
    The Admiral posted...
    FrisbeeDude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    sktgamer_13dude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

    Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


    The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

    This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.


    I agree. By consequence, those same people forfeit the right to turn their home into a business if they can't adhere to basic anti-discrimination statues


    I agree. But you should never be forced to let anyone into your home that you don't want.

    /facepalm

    Did you wake up today and decide you'd be extra dense today or was it a spur of the moment decision?
    DrizztLink 23 hours ago#54
    The Admiral posted...
    FrisbeeDude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    sktgamer_13dude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

    Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


    The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

    This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.


    I agree. By consequence, those same people forfeit the right to turn their home into a business if they can't adhere to basic anti-discrimination statues


    I agree. But you should never be forced to let anyone into your home that you don't want.

    Then you probably shouldn't be turning your house into a f***ing hotel.

    It's not like AirBnB f***ing stole her keys.

    Christ, this is almost as dumb as your s*** with Paterno.
    LordRazziel 23 hours ago#55
    The Admiral posted...
    FrisbeeDude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    sktgamer_13dude posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

    Your reason should be better than "they're Asian".


    The reason is "this is my house, and I will never let anyone in here I don't want."

    This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.


    I agree. By consequence, those same people forfeit the right to turn their home into a business if they can't adhere to basic anti-discrimination statues


    I agree. But you should never be forced to let anyone into your home that you don't want.

    And nobody was...
    http://i.imgur.com/8pzUM.gif http://i.imgur.com/Oh1iujg.gif
    The only bad part about flying is having to come back down to the f***in' world ~Rat
    FrisbeeDude  attack always23 hours ago#56
    I agree. But you should never be forced to let anyone into your home that you don't want.

    Why did you feel the need to bring this up? It's pretty irrelevant and no one is saying a homeowner is obligated to let literally anyone in their home. it's puzzling why you felt the need to mention it
    No one gets in the way of my frisbee games! NO ONE!
    ThanksUglyGod 23 hours ago#57
    Wouldn't be surprised if there was something in AirBnB's terms of service that stated you can't reject someone based on race.
    TheSextMachine 23 hours ago#58
    The Admiral posted...
    Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want.

    Not once you give that right to a business. If you rent your room out you abide by the same laws as everyone else, there is no debate. Your home becomes an official business and falls under the same laws.
    If you are reading this chances are I am pooping.
    daftpunk_mk5 23 hours ago#59
    Fine should be higher.
    Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
    DrizztLink 23 hours ago#60
    I think this is the part where Addy ghosts the topic because he got stomped.
    The Admiral 23 hours ago#61
    DrizztLink posted...
    I think this is the part where Addy ghosts the topic because he got stomped.


    Nah, it's the point where I have to solo 6-8 of you because the concept of personal property ownership is beyond your comprehension.
    - The Admiral
    DrizztLink 23 hours ago#62
    The Admiral posted...
    DrizztLink posted...
    I think this is the part where Addy ghosts the topic because he got stomped.


    Nah, it's the point where I have to solo 6-8 of you because the concept of personal property ownership is beyond your comprehension.

    It stops being personal when it becomes commercial.

    Apparently you're some kind of financial lawyer wizard genie, you'd think you'd understand something that simple.
    Antifar 23 hours ago#63
    I don't see any reason why Airbnbs shouldn't be subject to the sorts of regulations hotels/motels/hostels are under.
    kin to all that throbs
    Cj_WlLL_VVlN 23 hours ago#64
    Jabodie posted...
    Fam_Fam posted...

    he doesn't want some people in HIS house. He has the choice who gets in or not.

    So the same should apply for hotels, right?

    It is THEIR hotel after all.

    And clubs for that matter.

    If you host your home as a business, you get treated like a business.


    My knee reaction is businesses should be able to disctimate based on race, or sexual orientation or religion and you should be able to be smoking or non smoking and that health inspections should be optional and paid to a private company by the business as part of their advertising. 

    I also live in a relatively big and diverse area where the free market would offer plenty of alternatives and likely put that place under quickly. 

    That said I imagine in the middle of nowhere flyover state with one store and one restaurant this would be far easier to be abused and I understand the reasoning for the law. 

    With this story my knew her reaction is this lady is a piece of human filth but I don't think what she did should be illegal but I understand why it is.
    Give me your tired, your poor,Your masses yearning to breathe free,The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed, to me.
    Darmik 23 hours ago#65
    The Admiral posted...
    DrizztLink posted...
    I think this is the part where Addy ghosts the topic because he got stomped.


    Nah, it's the point where I have to solo 6-8 of you because the concept of personal property ownership is beyond your comprehension.


    Most businesses aren't private property?
    Kind Regards,
    Darmik
    Antifar 23 hours ago#66
    At any rate, Airbnb's website is pretty clear
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect?topic=533
    As a general matter, we will familiarize ourselves with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that apply to housing and places of public accommodation. Hosts should contact Airbnb customer service if they have any questions about their obligations to comply with this Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy. Airbnb will release further discrimination policy guidance for jurisdictions outside the United States in the near future. Guided by these principles, our U.S. and EU host community will follow these rules when considering potential guests and hosting guests:

    Airbnb hosts may not
    Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    kin to all that throbs
    Bio1590 22 hours ago#67
    July 2017 and people still try and get through Admiral's thick skull
    LordRazziel 22 hours ago#68
    The Admiral posted...
    DrizztLink posted...
    I think this is the part where Addy ghosts the topic because he got stomped.


    Nah, it's the point where I have to solo 6-8 of you because the concept of personal property ownership is beyond your comprehension.

    I guess we're all just like monkeys, compared to your grand intelligence.
    http://i.imgur.com/8pzUM.gif http://i.imgur.com/Oh1iujg.gif
    The only bad part about flying is having to come back down to the f***in' world ~Rat
    @The_Admiral posted...
    DrizztLink posted...
    I think this is the part where Addy ghosts the topic because he got stomped.


    Nah, it's the point where I have to solo 6-8 of you because the concept of personal property ownership is beyond your comprehension.

    Because the point you're arguing wasn't even contested.
    (edited 22 hours ago)reportquote
    DrizztLink 22 hours ago#70
    Antifar posted...
    At any rate, Airbnb's website is pretty clear
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect?topic=533
    As a general matter, we will familiarize ourselves with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that apply to housing and places of public accommodation. Hosts should contact Airbnb customer service if they have any questions about their obligations to comply with this Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy. Airbnb will release further discrimination policy guidance for jurisdictions outside the United States in the near future. Guided by these principles, our U.S. and EU host community will follow these rules when considering potential guests and hosting guests:

    Airbnb hosts may not
    Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.

    @The_Admiral

    So, still gonna keep up your s***, or is this gonna turn into an argument about contract law?

    Because you lost. Hard.
    Iodine 22 hours ago#71
    Ahhh I was wondering why this topic got so many posts. Admiral is back and up to his usual s***-posting.
    In Belichick we Trust
    DrizztLink 22 hours ago#72
    Iodine posted...
    Ahhh I was wondering why this topic got so many posts. Admiral is back and up to his usual s***-posting.

    It's like asking your dog "Who s*** on the carpet?" when you have one pet.

    And you're the one who s*** on the carpet.
    (edited 22 hours ago)reportquote
    The Admiral 22 hours ago#73
    Antifar posted...
    At any rate, Airbnb's website is pretty clear
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect?topic=533
    As a general matter, we will familiarize ourselves with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that apply to housing and places of public accommodation. Hosts should contact Airbnb customer service if they have any questions about their obligations to comply with this Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy. Airbnb will release further discrimination policy guidance for jurisdictions outside the United States in the near future. Guided by these principles, our U.S. and EU host community will follow these rules when considering potential guests and hosting guests:

    Airbnb hosts may not
    Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.


    Airbnb's TOU is not federal commercial law. You guys are flailing. Ignorance in numbers is just more ignorance.

    For the fifth time, kick the owner off Airbnb. That's the end of it.
    - The Admiral
    Darmik 22 hours ago#74
    The Admiral posted...
    Airbnb's TOU is not federal commercial law. You guys are flailing. Ignorance in numbers is just more ignorance.


    As a general matter, we will familiarize ourselves with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that apply to housing and places of public accommodation.


    Not sure why they would do that if it's not considered public accommodation.
    Kind Regards,
    Darmik
    thronedfire2 22 hours ago#75
    The Admiral posted...
    You should never be forced to rent your home to anyone you don't want, for any reason. The concept of financial damages is ridiculous.

    With that said, Airbnb is a business, and I support their right to boot this host from their program if they're discriminating based on race. You are not entitled to use their platform if you won't adhere to their policies on equal treatment.


    when people are paying you to stay there you're operating a business, not having a private house anymore.

    you think normal BnBs can just be like "lol no black poeple sorry" and get away with it?
    I could see you, but I couldn't hear you You were holding your hat in the breeze Turning away from me In this moment you were stolen...
    >person gets fined for denying person into their property when it's being used for business AT THAT TIME
    @The_Admiral is upset about it becsuse the person is white and supports Trump 

    Literally no one is denying that you have the right to deny people, no matter who they are, on your personal property. But when you turn your personal property INTO BUSINESS PROPERTY, DURING THAT TIME YOU DO THAT, you have to follow the laws set by the government when it comes to businesses. 

    If you put your house on AirBNB every weekend, you need to follow the laws of the land that all businesses follow during the weekend. During the weekday? Do whatever the f*** you want. 

    I literally do not understand how this is so hard to comprehend. Please let me know what is difficult for you.
    (edited 22 hours ago)reportquote
    Darmik 22 hours ago#77
    If a business owner calls his business his house he can get away with all sorts of s***. I found a loophole guys!
    Kind Regards,
    Darmik
    thronedfire2 22 hours ago#78
    Darmik posted...
    If a business owner calls his business his house he can get away with all sorts of s***. I found a loophole guys!


    "I sleep in my convenience store office, gtfo white people"
    I could see you, but I couldn't hear you You were holding your hat in the breeze Turning away from me In this moment you were stolen...
    TheVipaGTS 22 hours ago#79
    and NOW Admiral will ghost this topic to head to twitter so he can find some random no-name say something like "if i owned a restaurant i wouldn't serve the WHITE MAN" and make a topic raging about how that proves back people are the REAL RACISTS,,,
    JE19426 22 hours ago#80
    The Admiral posted...
    Airbnb's TOU is not federal commercial law.


    They weren’t fined by the Federal government were they?
    Tezlok 22 hours ago#81
    Trump isn't even being "mean" to Asians. What the hell do Asians have to do with Trump? This story makes no sense and Asians tend to be clean too. Nothing in this story adds up
    DrizztLink 22 hours ago#82
    TheVipaGTS posted...
    and NOW Admiral will ghost this topic to head to twitter so he can find some random no-name say something like "if i owned a restaurant i wouldn't serve the WHITE MAN" and make a topic raging about how that proves back people are the REAL RACISTS,,,

    I dunno, he might come back around to say he "won."

    Like how the kid who upended the checkers board and ran home crying technically never lost.
    Darmik 22 hours ago#83
    Tezlok posted...
    Trump isn't even being "mean" to Asians. What the hell do Asians have to do with Trump? This story makes no sense and Asians tend to be clean too. Nothing in this story adds up


    Ignorant racists tend to be total idiots that justify their behavior with any dumb reason they can find. What's hard to believe?
    Kind Regards,
    Darmik
    TheVipaGTS 22 hours ago#84
    Tezlok posted...
    Trump isn't even being "mean" to Asians. What the hell do Asians have to do with Trump? This story makes no sense and Asians tend to be clean too. Nothing in this story adds up

    Because a good portion of Trump Supporters think "NO MORE PC SPEAK YOUR MIND" means "I CAN FINALLY BE A RACIST PIECE OF s*** AND TRUMP WILL DEFEND ME"
    #85
    (message deleted)
    Musourenka 22 hours ago#86
    Obvious violation of Fair Housing rules results in obvious fine.

    Fair, next.
    Shooing away pigeons crapping on debate tables is not a violation of free speech.
    samurai bandit 22 hours ago#87
    The Admiral posted...
    Smashingpmkns posted...
    The Admiral posted...
    Smashingpmkns posted...

    It's the same thing as a hotel denying someone a room because they're black.


    No, it isn't, because a hotel is a business and governed by a different set of laws.

    Your home is your home. You are free to discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever you want. That's a privilege that comes with owning property. Airbnb has the right to tell you to f*** off and ban you from using their platform, but no one has the right to force you to let other people into your home that you're uncomfortable with.


    They were using their home as their business and agreed to the terms by AirBnB. 

    Even though that was a fair comparison I'll give you another. It's like an Uber driver picks up a Mexican customer and tells him to get out of the car because he's Mexican. 

    You don't see anything wrong with that?


    No, I don't. Your car, your rules. But I completely support Uber kicking that driver off the platform. 

    Using Airbnb or Uber as a side business does not transform your personal property into commercial property. Those are merely platforms; they're not legal agreements that change the set of laws governing your property.


    So you are pretty much saying that Airbnb or Uber should be the ones responsible. However that guy who willingly violates the terms of agreement he signed when subscribing to those businesess has no fault at all? Have you ever considered that whomever signed up to Airbnb should have at least a little bit amount of brains to know not to sign up for something they won't want to do?

    It seems you are one of those guys who thinks doing ilegal or bad things is correct, unless someone catches you doing it.
    Go and watch Ef ~ A tale of memories now!
    Antifar 22 hours ago#88
    http://fortune.com/2016/06/23/airbnb-discrimination-laws/
    Typically sales and rentals of a single-family home aren’t covered by the FHA, provided the owner doesn’t have more than three such homes at one time, and the sale isn’t advertised or handled by an agent or broker. Yet legal experts say the FHA could apply here, because Airbnb is helping as an agent for a short term rental.

    “ If it’s a separate property, such as a vacation rental, and you don’t live in the property, the FHA covers you ,” says Tom Spiggle, founder of Spiggle Law Firm, which specializes in discrimination law, based in Arlington, Va.


    Guessing this ski lodge fits that bill
    kin to all that throbs
    Lightsasori 21 hours ago#89
    Darmik posted...
    If a business owner calls his business his house he can get away with all sorts of s***. I found a loophole guys!


    Lol
    "Yare yare daze" ~ Jotaro Kujo
    "Children are pure, they know who's the strongest." ~ MaskDeSmith
    DrizztLink 21 hours ago#90
    Crazyman93 21 hours ago#91
    FrisbeeDude posted...
    take a course in Asian American studies

    This does what exactly?
    let's lubricate friction material!
    ~nickels, Cars & Trucks
    Lorenzo_2003 20 hours ago#92
    Crazyman93 posted...
    FrisbeeDude posted...
    take a course in Asian American studies

    This does what exactly?


    It won't do s***, except make the homeowner more resentful. I looked into it a little and she and her husband are still offering the home for rental use, just not through Air BnB and this time under the husband's name. I suspect the next time they want to discriminate, they will know not to be stupid enough to mention race.
    ...
    TheVipaGTS 17 hours ago#93
    Crazyman93 posted...
    FrisbeeDude posted...
    take a course in Asian American studies

    This does what exactly?

    wastes her time and money for being an idiot, which is good..unfortunately it won't change her racist ass. nothing will...
    GAMER_X 17 hours ago#94
    I gotta question if this story's even real or a propaganda piece. Had the woman been Mexican the trump comments would of made some sense. Or middle eastern. But Asian? Where did this happen, the deep south?? It'd have to be a mega red neck to say that in ref to an Asian. Comes off incredibly amiss
    "Dragon Age 2 was a train wreck the entire game, ME3 was like screaming rollercoaster that ran out of track and everyone died." -nIMr0D888
    Blue_Inigo 10 hours ago#95
    DrizztLink posted...
    @The_Admiral

    Your rebuttal towards being embarrassingly wrong?

    That clown can't read.
    "This is your last dance."
    The Admiral 9 hours ago#96
    DrizztLink posted...
    Antifar posted...
    At any rate, Airbnb's website is pretty clear
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect?topic=533
    As a general matter, we will familiarize ourselves with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that apply to housing and places of public accommodation. Hosts should contact Airbnb customer service if they have any questions about their obligations to comply with this Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy. Airbnb will release further discrimination policy guidance for jurisdictions outside the United States in the near future. Guided by these principles, our U.S. and EU host community will follow these rules when considering potential guests and hosting guests:

    Airbnb hosts may not
    Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.

    @The_Admiral

    So, still gonna keep up your s***, or is this gonna turn into an argument about contract law?

    Because you lost. Hard.


    I obviously lost you, because I never said this was about contract law. Your attempts at chest-beating are pretty flaccid when you can't comprehend the argument. Maybe let others do the talking for you.

    My argument is that your primary residence is not a business just because you rent out a room, and it is not governed by those laws, which is correct. No one has posted anything contrary to that. The only argument of any substance that has been made is that this is the woman's secondary vacation home (i.e. not a primary residence), so it qualifies for different regulation.
    - The Admiral
    (edited 9 hours ago)reportquote
    thronedfire2 9 hours ago#97
    The Admiral posted...
    DrizztLink posted...
    Antifar posted...
    At any rate, Airbnb's website is pretty clear
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect?topic=533
    As a general matter, we will familiarize ourselves with all applicable federal, state, and local laws that apply to housing and places of public accommodation. Hosts should contact Airbnb customer service if they have any questions about their obligations to comply with this Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy. Airbnb will release further discrimination policy guidance for jurisdictions outside the United States in the near future. Guided by these principles, our U.S. and EU host community will follow these rules when considering potential guests and hosting guests:

    Airbnb hosts may not
    Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
    Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.

    @The_Admiral

    So, still gonna keep up your s***, or is this gonna turn into an argument about contract law?

    Because you lost. Hard.


    I obviously lost you, because I never said this was about contract law. Your attempts at chest-beating are pretty flaccid when you can't comprehend the argument. Maybe let others do the talking for you.

    My argument is that your primary residence is not a business just because you rent out a room, and it is not governed by those laws, which is correct. No one has posted anything contrary to that. The only argument of any substance that has been made is that this is the woman's secondary vacation home (i.e. not a primary residence), so it qualifies for different regulation.


    Are you seriously saying that if you advertise a room for rent you're legally allowed to deny people based on race?
    I could see you, but I couldn't hear you You were holding your hat in the breeze Turning away from me In this moment you were stolen...
    The Admiral 9 hours ago#98
    thronedfire2 posted...
    Are you seriously saying that if you advertise a room for rent you're legally allowed to deny people based on race?


    Are you a landlord who does that for a living? No.

    Are you renting out a room in your home for extra income? Yes.
    - The Admiral
    Sativa_Rose 9 hours ago#99
    Lmao apparently the AirBNB host is an ESL teacher too... so her job is literally teaching English to people who are in the US who don't already speak it. And yet she's still this much of an ignorant racist?
    I may not go down in history, but I will go down on your sister.
    Antifar 9 hours ago#100
    thronedfire2 posted...
    Are you seriously saying that if you advertise a room for rent you're legally allowed to deny people based on race?

    He's not wrong, unfortunately. The FHA has some carveouts to it.
    https://fairhousing.foxrothschild.com/2010/06/articles/fha-basics/the-mrs-murphy-exemption-to-the-fair-housing-act/

    I don't think they apply in this case, however.
    kin to all that throbs
    1. Boards
    2. Current Events
    3. Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race
      1. Boards
      2. Current Events
      3. Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race
      Letron_James 9 hours ago#101
      The Admiral posted...
      thronedfire2 posted...
      Are you seriously saying that if you advertise a room for rent you're legally allowed to deny people based on race?


      Are you a landlord who does that for a living? No.

      Are you renting out a room in your home for extra income? Yes.


      I bet you would enjoy life in the 19th century. I'd imagine you'd fit right in with a bunch of double digit IQ racists.
      Ask me if I would eat da booty.
      Lorenzo_2003 7 hours ago#102
      Sativa_Rose posted...
      Lmao apparently the AirBNB host is an ESL teacher too... so her job is literally teaching English to people who are in the US who don't already speak it. And yet she's still this much of an ignorant racist?


      What makes you think her job would have anything to do with her own feelings on different groups of people? She teaches people English apparently. Her proficiency as a teacher has zero to do with whether or not she likes Asians, for example.
      ...
      Sativa_Rose 14 minutes ago#103
      Lorenzo_2003 posted...
      Sativa_Rose posted...
      Lmao apparently the AirBNB host is an ESL teacher too... so her job is literally teaching English to people who are in the US who don't already speak it. And yet she's still this much of an ignorant racist?


      What makes you think her job would have anything to do with her own feelings on different groups of people? She teaches people English apparently. Her proficiency as a teacher has zero to do with whether or not she likes Asians, for example.


      It's just shocking that someone who constantly works with non-Caucasians would hate on a group like that.
      I may not go down in history, but I will go down on your sister.
      AlternativeFAQS 8 minutes ago#104
      The Admiral posted...
      This is beyond dispute. I have no problem with Airbnb booting them if that violates the company's rules, but no one should ever be forced to let people in their home that they don't want. For any reason.

      it's not actually since you're wrong
      1. Boards
      2. Current Events 
      3. Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race

No comments:

Post a Comment

Public Comments